new years day race

new years day race

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Exploration of Auckland by Axel

Exploration of Auckland
by Axel Mitchell


I have spent the last 2 weeks in Auckland at the Viaduct Harbour. The Volvo ocean race boats came in the same harbour after racing all the way from China. There was a race village which included a cinema, restaurants, activities (like simulators and games), live bands, shops, bean bags to lounge in and built towers with, and last but best, a Lego Volvo boat.

There are lots of good restaurants near my boat, including Pride and Joy Ice Cream. Ice cream happy hour is my favorite time of day, 1 dollar ice cream with free toppings.

I went sailing on a Topaz, a small sailing dinghy, with my sister and friends Johnny and Victoria. It was a blast! They let us use the jib and I went out on the trapeze, which meant I put my feet on the edge of the boat, held onto a wire from the mast and dangled over the water.
I went exploring Auckland on my dad's fold up bike by myself. Every day I would explore something new. The coolest thing I saw was a big skate park that I rode in on my bike. I played on 2 giant curvy, tube slides that were on 2 levels of the platform.

I went on a classic yacht race with my family and their friends with absolutely no wind. It was soooo boring, but I did see someone bungy jump off the Auckland Harbour Bridge when we were under the bridge on our boat.

Almost every day I went to these pools called the Auckland Tepid Baths. There are 2 pools and a hot tub. The tepid pool water was a perfect temperature for me. One day I went with my sister and 2 friends, without any parents, we had a blast.


I had a wonderful time in Auckland, but there are still plenty of things I didn't do, like go up the Sky Tower. I really enjoyed exploring most of Auckland on my own and with my parents.

2 comments:

  1. Very well written, Axel. So descriptive, makes the reader feel as if they are there! Wel done mom and dad too! - Eric Carlson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written, Axel. So descriptive, makes the reader feel as if they are there! Wel done mom and dad too! - Eric Carlson

    ReplyDelete