new years day race

new years day race

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Mt Marum Volcano by Axel and Gigi

Mt. Marum
by Axel

This was my first time backpacking, so for now it was my best time backpacking. For about the first hour and a half we hiked through the lush forest before entering the not too barren ash plain, where there were streams of ash between strips vegetation. After about 30 more minutes we reached the camp. In the middle was a bamboo hut with a palm frond roof.

We did another shorter hike to the caldera. The lava there wasn't erupting, it was more shifting around in every direction. The lava color constantly changed, mostly various reds, but sometimes a layer on the top would cool into a black lava rock, only to broken apart and melted again. We were lucky to be there on a clear day, so we could easily see the lava in the caldera. And because of clearness it didn't smell bad or choke us. There was also a new vent about 100 feet wide that opened about a year ago. On the 1,000 foot deep drop to the lava pits are lines of white quartz, which didn't match with the black sand around the rim.


We hiked back to the hut where our tent was set up. After dinner, just before we fell asleep, our crew member, JD, noticed an intense red glow coming from the volcano. Like I said at the beginning, it was my favorite backpacking trip, because it was my only backpacking trip, but I think it will also be my favorite, because it was awesome.


Hiking Mt. Marum
by Gigi

                As the dinghy pulled up to the beach I felt butterflies fluttering around in my stomach. I was nervous to go backpacking for the first time, to climb an active volcano and to look inside at the bubbling lava. Even though I'd been to an active volcano before, and trust me, that one was scary (think chunks of molten lava flying up at you every few seconds), I was still scared to spend a night sleeping in the shadow of a volcano whose glow could be seen even from the bay where our boat was anchored.

                My dad, my brother Axel, our friend J.D., two guides, John and Ruben, Cameron and Haso a scouting team for an upcoming Japanese documentary on Vanuatu, and I jumped in the back of a pickup truck that jostled along the bumpy road until we reached the trailhead. We jumped out and started along the trail with my dad, Axel, J.D. and me following John and the other's following Ruben. My backpack was full of heavy water, it was hard carrying it up the steep incline of the trail. The thick jungle, heavy packs, and steep trail slowed us all down and made us have to rest frequently. Whenever there was a gap in the trees a stunning view of the ocean and the sprawling jungle was revealed. The trail was lined with lush jungle, green everywhere you looked, and heard the loud song of the cicadas. There were tikis along the path, carved from palm tree stumps and covered in moss.

                After going down a hill, that I would later learn was the edge of the crater, the jungle opened up to an ash plane that at first looked like an asphalt airplane runway lined on either side by palm trees, ferns, grasses, and small pink flowers. We followed the ash, occasionally cutting through the bush to another runway until we reached the hut. The hut was a small house on short stilts that had a sign above the door that read 'five star motel, god bless'. We set up the tent behind the hut, ate lunch, and prepared for the exciting hike up to the rim of the caldera.

                After going along the ash plane for a while our guide led us up a dry riverbed dotted with small pools of water. From there the trail climbed up a steep ridge and the trees disappeared leaving only small scrub that eventually thinned out to small bushes scattered across grey ash. The ridge was thin, at some places only three feet across with forty foot drop offs on either side, and was only one of many that lead up the volcano, with deep valleys in between. If you turned around and looked you could see strips of dark grey ash separated by lines of trees and bushes, and an old volcano rising above it all, it's sides a blanket of green. From the top it felt as if I was a giant and if I stepped down the hills it would feel like soft moss under my feet.

                The moment I stepped close enough to see inside the caldera my jaw dropped and I was rendered speechless. The sides of the caldera were striped with white rock that contrasted with the gray-black ash that colored the rim. Thin lines of orange, pink and yellow ran in between the white, and colorful rocks broke up the darkness of the ridge. But the most amazing sight, the one that drew your eyes away from everything else was the glowing, bubbling lava at the bottom of the caldera. It looked as if it were angry and restless, shifting every which way, splashing up to splatter the sides of the pit with glowing red that quickly darkened into hard black rock. The caldera was a thousand feet deep and thousands of feet wide. There were two vents, we were looking into the big one and about a thousand feet away was a smaller vent that opened up in an eruption a year ago, and from where I was standing I could just see the red glow coming from it. It was one of the most stunning sights I had ever seen. Leaning over the rim of the caldera I could feel the heat radiating off the molten rock to warm my face and hands, I could smell the sulfur in the air and see the steam and ash rising in a dark plume into the sky.

                We walked along the thin, dangerous rim, that had a steep cliff on one side and lava on the other and got to a wide flat ash plane that lead up to another vent that was steaming so much that I could see nothing except the smoke. Here the sulfur was choking, so I could not stay on the edge very long.

                When the sun was low in the sky, it was time for us to head back, we had to have enough daylight to return to camp, so we climbed back down the ridge, through the riverbed, and back across the ash plane to the camp. Once the sun had set and we had eaten dinner, I walked out to the runway and saw the bright red glow that the lava had cast over the shadow of the mountain. It was brighter than the glow of any city, it lit up the night like a thousand red searchlights all shining from the center of the volcano.

                In the morning we packed up our tent and sleeping bags and carried the considerably lighter bags down to where the car was scheduled to meet us. But when we arrived at the base of the trail there was no one there, so after waiting for an hour we had to walk down the road and eventually, out of water, tired and aching we reached town and were able to get a ride back to our boat. The moment we got to the beach I ran into the water with my clothes and shoes on not caring that they were getting wet because it felt so good to be in the water. That night I was the most tired I had ever been and fell asleep instantly.

                The hike to the volcano was wonderfully beautiful, and standing above melted rock from the center of the earth is something that I will never forget.


Check out the video of the bubbling lava
https://youtu.be/6BOI_NHXsN8














No comments:

Post a Comment