new years day race

new years day race

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Sept 23, 2014 in Suwarow by Axel

Today was one of the best days of my life. I started the day on board Nirvana, my family's sailboat, in Suvurov. Suvarov is an atoll in the Cook Islands, it is also a national park. The first thing of the day I did was school, 2 pages of math, then at noon we went for a field trip to a ship wreck.
While we started going toward the wreck we did a little trolling for fish from the dinghy. I got my lure snagged on the coral bottom so we had to go back to the boat and get another. We trolled for a little while more before reeling in our gear and heading to the ship wreck.
The ship wreck was up sitting on top of the outside reef of the atoll. We had to do a long walk across the reef to the wreck. The wreck looked like a medium sized fishing boat with around half of it on the bottom of the ocean. I got a cool piece of the wreck that was a brass pulley that we might be able to clean up with muriatic acid.
We went back to the fishing spot and went fishing. I got a strong pull on my line, but that fish got away, my dad thought it might have been an emperor fish. I got another bite, this one was a small trevally, I got it right next to the dinghy but at the last second it got off the hook. I got a third bite, this one was a gianormous trevally. I was able to get it into the dinghy and back to Nirvana for tomorrow night's dinner. I was so excited to catch such a huge fish.
Tonight we had beef bourguignon for dinner because it was my parent's anniversary. For dessert I had banana cream pie, it was epically good.
Axel

1 comment:

  1. Bravo, Axel. I enjoyed your wonderful story about visiting a shipwreck and catching a big fish. So happy you are having such a great time. Hugs and kisses to you.

    ReplyDelete