new years day race

new years day race

Monday, November 17, 2014

Nov 18, 2014 Minerva Reef

Yesterday afternoon we made it to Minerva Reef. Our passage was very light, so unfortunately we had to motor a lot. We are anchored just inside the pass and there is no wind or seas, so it is very pleasant and very tranquil.

As soon as we got anchored yesterday we went outside the reef to snorkel. The first thing I saw when I jumped in the water was a huge sea turtle swimming towards me. I called for Axel and he jumped in right away. We both swam for quite a while with the turtle about an arm length away. It wasn't scared of us at all. Such an incredible sight. When it finally swam away we realized how spectacular the reef was. It is covered in live coral, brilliant blues, deep oranges, bone white, and all different types. There are some soft corals and lots of hard corals. The reef is also alive with sea life, schools of colorful fish. Gary speared a grouper and a spotted sweet lips, so tasty.

After dinner Gigi went to another boat for a sleepover with 3 girls, and Gary, Harrison, Axel and some guys from the other boats went on the reef to get lobster. They came back with 75 lobsters, and they are all a good size. They are Pacific lobster and a few slipper lobsters, and their shells are many different colors.

Today it is my birthday. I have been sung to already about 5 times, once over the VHF radio. We are going to have a party tonight and have the other yachties over. We have plenty of lobster to feed everyone. And Gigi made me a chocolate cake, it looks a little lumpy, but it will taste fantastic.

This morning after lobster tacos for breakfast, we went scuba diving. What a spectacular dive. I went with the other adults, and Gary went with Axel. I saw a small lionfish, and an abundance of different corals. So far this has been a truly memorable birthday and I am looking forward to the party this night.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment