new years day race

new years day race

Thursday, May 22, 2014

5/21/14 on board

Feast!

Yesterday the  quest for the offshore iron chef title got its first major challenge to the Chef Mitchell chilequiles.  Our friends from the north came in guns a blazin.  Harrison was playing with his favorite item of cutlery the filet knife and since there was no fish to cut up he started in on the potatoes.  Very soon after his Canadian cohort showed up and the language from the galley was taken to the next level!  I heard words I have only read in upscale cook books and at nice restaurants!  We finally, after watching the preparations for hours, got to enjoy the end product-  potatoes au gratin or scalloped potatoes- either way read YUM!  Plus a very nice bbqd steak accompaniment.

We had another rainy wet evening with us motorsailing in light breeze to over 30kts of breeze.  Not quite the deluge as the night before last but still quite a bit of water falling out of the sky.  This am has been quite light for the most part but this afternoon we have enough breeze to get our sail on with a full main and genoa. We are closing on the equator!

SV Nirvana out.

3 comments:

  1. Love getting the daily low-down. I don't understand any of the sailing terms or references but I did get the cooking ones. The encounters with the dolphins sound magical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Gary and Crew.

    This is great following you to the Marquesas. I keep looking for a comment about your sextant and shooting a noon sight and then I remember that you probably have six GPS units available to you. When we did it in 1975, we made it in 22 days from Acapulco, all by sextant. Scary.. It is around 2800 miles on the rhumb line from Mexico. It looks like you will do it a lot faster but I would expect that out of Nirvana.

    I spent Friday evening (May 9) with Hugo Carver and he told me a lot of history about the boat. He and Marge are great. We raced against him in the Yesteryear Regatta. Good fun. Took 3rd in our class.

    I remember the flying fish. Same deal...they would hit the main in the night and scare the hell out of you. Halfway through the trip I realized how tasty they are. Wish I'd have realized it sooner.

    Man, I wish I was with you. Great boat...great crew.

    Are you landing in Nuka Hiva?

    Fair winds,

    John Buser

    ReplyDelete
  3. the adventure sounds awesome! Good on you with the potatoes!

    ReplyDelete